Background: The Downtown Ithaca Alliance in Ithaca, New York (www.downtownithaca.com) is pleased to invite applications for Art in the Heart 2015. Now in its sixteenth year, Art in the Heart is an outdoor public art exhibition running from June through November. It is an eclectic showcase of regional, national, and international talent that is meant to enhance the community’s walkable urban core and to engage our large and diverse population of residents and visitors in inspection, interaction, and conversation.
Format: This year, Art in the Heart will be comprised of two components: an invitational portion and a juried portion. Our jury will select five applicants to participate in the juried portion. Each artist will receive a $250 stipend (total) for one piece, or a $500 stipend (total) for two to four pieces, to defray costs of fabrication, transportation, and installation. Among these jury-selected pieces, at least one non-site-based work will be purchased by the Downtown Ithaca Alliance (up to $4000 total) for inclusion in its permanent public art collection; the selection will be made by the jury and informed by a public Facebook poll.
Criteria: The theme of the exhibition is open. In past years, media have ranged from iron sculptures to polychrome wood diptychs to expansive murals on public buildings. Many pieces have been purpose-designed and –fabricated, although we have also featured works that have been exhibited elsewhere outside the Finger Lakes region. The principal criteria are that a) the work must safely withstand frequent human contact and inclement weather and b) that it must be appropriate and compelling for people of all ages and backgrounds. The jury will also consider the materials and dimensions of the proposed pieces in relation to the available sites. This year, most of the sites for sculptural work will be along the Cayuga Street Art Corridor (126 South Cayuga Street to 215 North Cayuga Street). Other potential sites may include Dewitt Park, the Green Garages, and the Ithaca Commons pedestrian mall. Artists interested in proposing a mural on a specific building or other site-based work (within the Ithaca Downtown Business Improvement District) will have to seek provisional approval from the site’s owner prior to applying.
Logistics: Work must be installed between June 5 and June 20, 2015; an opening tour and reception will be held in July. All work must be removed between November 5 and November 20, 2015. The Downtown Ithaca Alliance and the City of Ithaca Department of Public Works may be able to offer assistance with installation and removal but the artist will be principally responsible and will assume all related costs. All works will be insured up to $25,000 (based upon listed retail price) by the City of Ithaca for the duration of the show. All works will be featured in a print and online guide and on a mobile app tour. All work will be for sale unless specified otherwise; the Downtown Ithaca Alliance is owed a 15 percent commission on any sales negotiated during the show.
Instructions: Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 PM on April 24, 2015:
- Name, address, email, website.
- A biography and artist statement.
- A brief statement (1 paragraph) expressing your views on public art and its importance to the urban environment.
- A description of the proposed work(s), including title, date, subject, theme, dimensions including footprint, weight, media, and selling price (must be under $4,000 to qualify for the permanent collection contest; if NFS, please specify a retail replacement value for insurance purposes).
- High-quality images (or detailed color renderings) of the proposed works (JPGS between 1-3 MB preferred; please ensure that your entire email does not exceed 15 MB).
- A brief explanation of how the work(s) will be sufficiently safe and durable to withstand human contact and harsh weather.
- Any specific requests for installation or removal assistance, if desired.
- If you are proposing a mural on a particular building or other site-based work, a copy of correspondence with the site’s owner granting provisional approval of the project. Please feel free to email us with any questions before submitting your application.